Tuesday

No longer rage against the disease

Acceptance of one's life has nothing to do with resignation; it does not mean running away from the struggle. On the contrary, it means accepting it as it comes, with all the handicaps of heredity, of suffering, of psychological complexes and injustices.  Paul Tournier,  Swiss Author

There are many things I have acccepted now, at this stage, about this myositis. Many things I do differently. It is hard to think about them and put them into words
as I feel a sadness coming over me. Is this why we surround ourselves with music and amusements and busyness? Even as I try to list them here my mind becomes befuddled and does not let me think. Am I trying to protect myself?
Just before, in the kitchen, I was creating a list of what has changed, in my head, and now it has escaped me.

I no longer rage against the disease as I did in the early days and as I see many newcomers to the diagnosis do. I accept that I cannot do many things that I did before with ease:
I no longer dance or do tai chi or even yoga though I do some yoga stretches;
I no longer do things without thinking as I know the consequences of doing an activity for too long or doing it at all. I don't really do anything for longer than half an hour because I must move and change positions and change which muscles I use before they become too painful or too stiff.
I had meant for this post to be about specifics but maybe another time...
What have you accepted in your chronic disease?


2 comments:

  1. Ashley Suits10:05 PM

    I am newly diagnosed. I'm 21 tears old

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Ashley, so sorry to hear you are so young. Do keep in touch.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...